Sunday, May 25, 2008

Now for sump-thing completely different

Next on the list for my engine was the oil sump. The standard subaru sump sits way to low for a beetle (especially my very low beetle) so you need a shortened one. Bug @5 speed sells a very nice one but at 340 euros it's kind of to expensive for my tight budget. But if you can afford it, go with the bug @ 5 speed one. You could also shorten a standard one but I don't trust my welding (machine) to be up for the job. So I had to come up with something different. And I found it. 80 euro for a new alu sump from a different car and I just needed to make an adapter plate. Which I did and tada, here it is. Not very difficult and it should work fine. Still need to shorten the pick up and some other misc stuff, but here's the test fit. Now I can make the headers fit....

I made a little mistake on the mill which I had to weld up and filling the holes didn't go perfectly too. So it al looks a little bit ruff but it should work just fine....

Here's the sump on the engine. To bad the cooling fins on the sump are going the wrong way.... Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

And under the engine. Still sticks out a fair bit but it's about 5 cm less than the original. Hey, is that the relocated fuel pressure regulator with it's nifty bracket and my new multi rib belt....

No comments: