Sunday, April 26, 2009

De-anodizing my amp

Got a bit side tracked. Was working out how I was going to fit stuff in the trunk and then remembered the amp I had. I need it to make my ipod work as a stereo so it's probably going in the trunk. It's purple (or lilac) and eventough I've got all sorts of colors in and on the car, purple was not going to be one of those colors. I was going to de-anodize some wheels for my motorbike with sink declogger but haven't found a bucket big enough to fit a wheel in. However, the amp was a good object to test the de-anodizing. I have seen it online that it works but wanted to see it with my own eyes. So I started on this little project.

The amp. Just a few euro on a flee market but it works. Eventhough they had left it out in the rain....

Took it apart and cleaned it with soap. It's a perfect fit for my sink.

Filled the sink with warm water en de-clogger.

Half an hour later, a lot of foam which started to turn purple.

One hour and I took it out. Had turned it upside down ones during the proces. Well guess it really does work. One hour might have been a bit long because it got a bit pitted. After a good rinse I saw some brown spots....

Not really sure what those spots were (heat or something) but I decided to sand them down. Well, not a good idea but the spots were gone. After that I gave it a glassbeat to get rid of the shine...

The plastic strip was purple-ish too so I made a black one. Just a sony badge from an old reciever to make it not to bland. All ready to fit in the bug. But I might put it in the back......

No comments: