Friday, May 8, 2009

New rear deck lid... a bit weird.

Today the mailman delivered my decklid. The guy really knows me and my heavy and/or big packages. He didn't even bother to bring it al the way to my door :D So after finishing some stuff I went to my garagebox to test fit it. Well, 2 things were pretty obvious. First of course, it's the wrong model. Couldn't really see it on the pic in the ad if it was the longer model or not but I didn't care eather way. Well turns out it's a '67 model (right...?) but it's a lot longer then I had anticipated. My bug isn't stock anyway, and I've got some other plans that make the back even less stock but I'm not sure if I am going with this deck lid. It does however have some advantages but I need to see it with the rear bumper on... Secondly, the ad said a plastic (which in my book means fiberglass) bonnet. None of that of course. The thing had a bit of rust on it and after inspecting it more carefully I noticed the inside wasn't fiberglass but thick latex paint. Funny. After taking that gunk off, the inside wasn't that bad. The outside however has had a real lousy paintjob. I'll put the grinder to it to see how it's underneath, wont take that much time I think because I could take the paint and primer of it with my fingernail.... We'll see how this unfolds.

I do prefere the longer deck lid because it makes the line of the back run on longer but it's so not stock... (maybe I should run a W-deck lid :D)

In the end I did find some little pieces of fiberglass under all that latex junk. But that gray stuff really has metal under it. Still it doesn't look all that bad actually.... the other side I'll leavy for another time.

No comments: